Friday, December 28, 2007

Slow Ride

Work:
Things are a little slow around the shop today. I think that it is the calm before the storm. The great thing about not having 20 things on your plate is you get to rummage through the stack of papers that have been pushed to the back corner of your desk...only to realize that there are 10 more things you have forgot to finish. I guess that is the way it is. I am feeling fortunate to have the opportunity to work some amazing people, not only my work peeps, but the various individuals that we call customers. Each person I work with is uniquely different yet we all have the love for bicycles in our hearts and minds. For that I am grateful. Looking forward to a few more days off and then the New Year.

During this slow day, we have been thinking about our preparations for next year. What bike shows to attend. Interbike for sure, but what about Eurobike? With our international dealer base growing rapidly, I think we should attend. It is a selfish goal for sure, but why not. What about the North American Handmade Show? We would be considered a large builder at that show, but we do make all of our bikes by hand and everything is made here in the US, Chattanooga to be exact. I have been thinking about the perfect bike to crush that show, but I think I am going to save it for the Single Speed Worlds. It will be the envy of all. The only problem with such object is that it demands a level of riding that is sometimes hard to live up to.

Ride:
Before I go into details, I would like to state that Chattanooga is a bad ass place to road ride, even when you suck.
Last night's road ride was an eye-opening experience on two levels. The fact that I have not ridden a geared bike in many, many moons was the first of my problems. I think that I have completely lost the ability to know what gear to be in and when to shift. The second issue I ran into was the intense level of elevation gain that exists on a relatively short loop right outside my front door. Merry those issues with two hard core racing locals and you will get your ass handed to you. I really wish that I had a heart rate monitor on just to have some idea of how much I suffered. Now I have something to look forward to over the next few months. My new goal is three hours on this loop. This is my new Snake Creek Gap training route and I cannot wait to see how it stacks up.

The most unforgiving part of last night was the thought that kept running through my mind as I felt horrible up each long climb...Am I ready for this Cherohala Skyway trip? I know that I can make it and that the ride will be amazing, but I now realize that it is going to hurt...big time. Well what does not kill you, makes you stronger...that's what they say, whoever they are. I am basically doing this ride because I have never ridden the skyway and Snake Creek Gap is next weekend. I plan on taking my small camera to capture some of the views along the way and a couple of shots of me to verify my suffering. Pictures and a post to follow tomorrow night upon my return...peace be with me and also with you.

No comments: