Thursday, December 27, 2007

So Long Nashville, I'm out!

I made it through Christmas and am now looking forward to the New Year...the "Ocho" as we have now named it. I foresee many good things coming in the Ocho. 2007 was a trying year for me on many levels, while I made some profound accomplishments, I also struggled big time. The move to Chattanooga was filled with optimism but the decline in the housing market forced me to renovate, remodel and stage my old house in Nashville...paying a mortgage for a year while not living in a house really sucks. But we are now free from that burden and should be able to live much easier in the Ocho. While I have no real plans on purchasing a home in Chatt, I do dig my rent house and it has been nice to not worry about the regular financial inconveniences that owning a home brings. Just when you have saved enough money for that sweet new single speed or whatever, your roof needs to be replaced, or your furnace goes out. The list is endless. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more American than owning a home, but I do remember the joys of the college years and beyond of not worrying about anything other than the rent.

While I am living on easy street this year, the fleet will find some friends along the way, that is for sure. While my eyes are currently on a killer new full-suspension bike, my mind reminds me of how much I hate the noise and unpredictable ride characteristics of such bike. I love rigid, hardtail single speeds and that is about it. Maybe a new fixie commuter or the like. Or maybe a new XBOX 360...my younger brother-in-law has one and I know that it will not help my riding at all, but damn, Guitar Hero is an awesome game. Over Christmas, we spent two straight days playing and I am now a rock god...if only cycling was so easy. Actually, thank god it is not.

Work:
Just returned to the office today and it is always hard getting focused again after a long weekend plus a few more days off. It was nice to hear some great words from those who received new bikes for Christmas or whatever it was that they celebrated. As this year winds down, we find ourselves preparing for the next. Big things on the rise for us this year. Now we hope to meet the demand while still having the time to create new products.

Ride:
On Saturday I drove up to Raccoon Mountain for a couple of laps of pure bliss. I barely missed my boy Ivory who came down from the 'boro which was a bummer. We had a few house guests on Saturday so I had to get the ride in early. Next ride took place on Monday at Montgomery Bell. That trail is finally starting to grow on me. It used to be so tight and twisty that you rarely had a chance to gain any speed before you were forced to make a hairpin turn. Now, the new sections have a really nice flow. I will say this about Chattanooga, after a year of riding here, anything in Nashville is easy...no way I can move back there.

Tonight I am going to roll out the road bike for few hours in preparation for this weekend's death march on the skyway. I have some apprehensions but I am looking forward to the challenge. If it was an 81 mile mtb ride, then honestly I would feel better, but I rarely ride my road bike except on the rollers. The weather should be unpredictable along with my riding, so it will be an adventure for sure.

No comments: